Main Purpose of Job:
Playing a key part in the day to day operations at Active Plus, the Business Support Officer will provide 9 months maternity cover for the Business Manager. Using the existing processes and ways of working, the Business Support Officer will keep the organisation operating effectively, efficiently and safely.
Reporting to the Managing Director you will play a key part in supporting the Senior Management Team as they lead the organisation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Be the main point of contact for all Safeguarding concerns across the organisation including guiding staff through safeguarding concerns, maintain accurate records and liaising with external agencies where required. You will ensure that your Safeguarding knowledge is up to date and relevant.
• Maintain full and relevant insurance to cover all aspects of the business including public and professional liability, professional indemnity, employer’s liability, and vehicle insurance. You will be the main point of contact with the assigned insurance broker.
• Review and maintain General Data Protection Regulations within the organisation including relevant policies, processes and day to day practice. Being the main point of contact and responsible for GDPR for Active Plus you will support and guide employees where a data breach may have occurred. In the even of a large scale data breach you will support the Senior Management Team in preparing reports and liaising with the ICO.
• Taking responsibility for the HR of the organisation you will be the main point of contact for a variety of human resource queries. Day to day enquiries range from employee wellbeing, contract queries and managing leave to supporting with annual pay reviews. You will form a strong link with the externally appointed HR professionals as you seek guidance and approval for complex situations.
• You will manage the staff handbook which sets the guiding principles for all employees of Active Plus ensuring that the policies are relevant, accurate and up to date. As required, you will support employees to interpret the information within the staff handbook and apply it to their own situation.
• Leading on recruitment for Active Plus you will work alongside Manager’s to process resignations, produce/amend job descriptions and person specifications, advertiser roles, coordinate applications, produce and prepare interview paperwork, make job offers, issues contracts and coordinate start details. You will also carry out thorough pre employment checks ensuring that the applicant can safely and legally begin employment with the company.
• As required, you will support Manager’s where performance concerns arise, you may be asked to assist with the coordination of performance reviews and/or attend performance meetings to document the findings.
• You will maintain accurate and up to date leave records ensuring that staff entitlement is correctly calculated and communicated to staff members. This includes the timely processing of all absence requests and may include giving advice on statutory time off (paternity, sick leave etc).
• On a monthly basis you will prepare an accurate payroll record for the organisation. Ensuring that changes to projects, pay scales and time off are captured effectively before seeking final approval from the Finance Manager. You may be asked to liaise with the Payroll Department where clarification or changes are required.
• You will maintain an accurate record of all De Minimis/State Aid funding that is received by Active Plus and provide this information to the Senior Management Team as required.
• The scheduling, coordination and accurate minute taking of Director’s meetings will sit within the remit of the Business Support Officer. Meetings take place quarterly and accurate minutes should be issued within one week of the meeting concluding.
• Working with the externally appointed IT support provider you will ensure that the IT solutions for the business are relevant and effective. You will liaise with staff as appropriate to ensure that they have the correct equipment, set up and security in place.
• Alongside maintaining appropriate vehicle insurance, you will also be required to manage the upkeep, safety and service records for the Active Plus minibus. You will coordinate MOTs, servicing and repairs as required ensuring that relevant people within Active Plus are informed.
• Reviewing, maintaining and supporting with policies and procedures across the organisation will be a key part of your role as you support the business to maintain operating effectively and efficiently. As required, you will produce or amend policies that are relevant to the organisation and day to day operations.
• The Business Support Officer will seek to retain all existing awards and accreditations that have been achieved by Active Plus ensuring that the compliance requirements for each award/accreditation are met. You will seek to find new opportunities for formal recognition of the work that Active Plus carries out.
• Any other reasonable duties as requested by the Managing Director.
Skills, knowledge and experience
Experience of working within the voluntary, community and social enterprise sector
Knowledge and experience of safeguarding adults, young people and children.
Knowledge and experience of Human Resources including being the main point of contact for HR queries.
Experience of sourcing and coordinating business insurance.
A sound knowledge and understanding of the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulations and how these apply to business.
Successful track record of building and maintain working relationships with partners, key stakeholders and colleagues.
A knowledge and understanding of the challenges faced by wounded,
injured or sick military veterans.
Experience of advising serving or ex armed forces personnel.
Current clean driving licence and access to a vehicle for business use .
Ability to communicate with a wide range of audiences.
Sound knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite.
An understanding of grant funding.
Knowledge of insurance requirements in the third sector.
Evidence of working in partnership with external human resource, IT and finance organisations.
Experience of serving in the Armed Forces.
Current knowledge of Armed Forces policy and the impact on service leavers.
ECDL qualification or similar.
This role is eligible under the exceptions to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and will therefore require the successful applicant to complete an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS).
To apply for this role please submit the following documents via email to Laura Truckle at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. A CV of no more than two sides of A4 and
2. A Covering Letter of no more than two sides of A4 detailing why you would be suitable for this role
The closing date for all applications is midday on Monday 2nd November 2020.
Interviews will take place on Friday 6th November 2020.
Closing Date: 9th November 2020